As of vRealize Network Insight (will be recalled as vRNI) v3.8, we have a new feature integrating with vRealize Log Insight(will be recalled as vRLI) by adding it as data source. The question is, why do we need this?
Firstly, let me remind you vRNI collector should connect NSX manager in every 10 minutes and poll the changes (such as security groups, firewall rules, etc). It’s also possible that NSX manager has too much load on it and this polling period might be extended. When we need real time information, syslog comes to our minds. So, it will be great if we work syslog and vRNI collector together. Because of this, we integrate vRLI and vRNI.
In a data center where NSX works, we monitor NSX Security Groups. Whenever a security group is created or modified by adding or removing any VM, the logs of NSX are sent to vRealize Log Insight which in turn sends an alert. After receiving the alert, vRealize Network Insight polls the NSX Manager on which the security group was created and fetches the corresponding data for the changed security groups. By doing this, we will see the changes in NSX environment much more faster.
Note: at the time of writing, it’s only supported to use this feature only monitoring the security groups.
Which products are supported?
- vRealize Network Insight should be min v3.8
- vRealize Log Insight should be min. v4.5
- NSX manager should be min. V6.2
How to do it?
1. First, you should have installed the NSX Content Pack for vRealize Network Insight in vRealize Log Insight.
2. On vRNI, Settings -> Accounts and Data Sources -> Add Source -> Log Insight should be selected and added as a data source.
- Collector: Select the IP address of the data collector that you have deployed for the data collection process.
- IP Address: Enter the IP address or the FQDN of vRLI
- Username/password: Enter username/password to connect vRLI
- Authentication provider: Select the respective authentication provider for the credentials that you have provided
3. After you click Submit, it will give you an URL and we will complete the necessary steps by connecting vRLI.
After we completed the necessary steps on vRLI, then we should be finished the integration part. After that, vRLI should be tracking the changes of NSX environment and then send this information to vRNI.
Thanks for reading!